POSITION TITLE: Database Administrator
REPORTS TO: Manager, Data Management & Business Analytics
DEPARTMENT: Fund Development
STATUS: Permanent, Full Time
HOURS: Standard Hours with evenings and weekends as required
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: The position will remain open until filled
Are you a team player who has great technical ability and analytical skills? Would you love to use your drive and passion to make a difference for working low-income families in the Greater Toronto Area? If you have answered yes to the above then this position is for you!
Habitat for Humanity GTA is looking for an experienced and energetic professional to join our Fund Development team. Reporting to the Manager, Data Management and Business Analytics, the Database Administrator will play a key role in managing our Raiser’s Edge fundraising database (200,000+ records) and supervising a terrific group of dedicated regular volunteers who support our data and gift processing needs. This is also a critical support role for our fundraising professionals to raise more funds to build more homes for working low-income families.
Habitat for Humanity GTA is a non-profit housing organization working with communities to build homes for working, low-income families in need of safe, decent, affordable housing. By offering zero down payment, no-interest mortgages capped at 30 percent of a family’s income, Habitat for Humanity GTA offers families a hand up, empowering them to achieve stability and self-reliance through affordable homeownership, so that they can build a better life/a path out of poverty. With the support of donors and volunteers, we build homes in Brampton, Caledon, Toronto, and York Region, serving two-thirds of the GTA.
Since 1988, Habitat GTA has built more than 300 homes in partnership with families. Habitat GTA is one of more than 1,400 Habitat for Humanity affiliates worldwide sharing a common vision and purpose. Habitat for Humanity GTA also operates 10 Habitat ReStore home improvement retail stores across the GTA, which sell donated, new and gently-used home furnishing and renovation materials at a fraction of the original price. ReStore proceeds directly support building Habitat homes. ReStore also helps the environment, by diverting thousands of tons of household materials from landfill.
Reporting to the Manager, Data Management & Business Analytics, the Database Administrator is responsible for Habitat for Humanity GTA’s gift processing and acknowledgement, creating and updating constituent records as well as daily administration of the organization’s primary constituent database system (currently – Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge (RE)). This role recruits and supervises a group of regular volunteers to execute the timely execution of all gift processing, if needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interact with donors (email and telephone), as needed, to ensure their receipting needs are met in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Build, manage and sustain the internal - business relationships necessary to support the database (e.g. IT consultant, and other departments).
GIFT PROCESSING, ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND REPORTING:
- Implement timely processing of all donations received from various channels in the RE database.
- Verify gift entry, prepare, print and file donation processing reports.
- Issue tax receipts for gifts that meet Canada Revenue Agency and Habitat GTA tax receipting guidelines for issuing official tax receipts. Issues non-charitable business receipts as required.
- Ensure that tax receipts and acknowledgment letters are mailed (or emailed) on a timely basis (within the receipting turnaround time guidelines established by HFH GTA).
- Complete gift adjustments and issue duplicate/corrected tax receipts as required.
- Perform monthly and year-end gift reconciliations with the Finance department. Supports Finance Department to fulfill their annual audit requirements as per all gifts to Habitat GTA.
- Use RE native import tools and other data import software to upload gift and constituent information received from online sources and other databases into the RE database.
- Process credit and debit gift transactions using the RE database or specialized online programs.
- Generate donor and volunteer recognition lists, segmented direct mail lists, newsletter lists, and other queries as required by the Fund Development, Volunteer and Communication departments for the annual report or other publications.
- Generates global actions in Raiser’s Edge to track communications to donors.
- Generates detailed reports and flags potential financial risk for Development and Finance departments including, but not limited to, pledge due, campaign analysis, and cash-flow reports on a weekly/monthly/bi-monthly basis as required.
- Participates in the planning, analysis and strategy sessions of the Development team.
- Handle internal and external gift receipting inquiries.
- Writes off unfulfilled pledges.
- Other duties as assigned by the Manager, Data Management & Business Analytics.
- Update, edit and maintain all donor information in accordance with Habitat GTA policies and procedures to ensure accuracy and integrity of constituent and gift data; implement changes to historical constituent, gift and campaign information/architecture as required.
- Oversees the timely processing of all volunteer information collected through Volunteer Hub, volunteer waivers, volunteer hours, returned mail and other sources for recording in Raiser’s Edge database.
- Manages database integration and/or data imports between Raiser’s Edge and on-line fundraising tools, and other CSV lists.
- Ensure all donations, donor and volunteer records and financial information are secured at all times.
- When necessary, make recommendations for changes to data management policies and procedures and ensure new policies and procedures are communicated and followed.
- Perform regular data-integrity and duplicate checks and works with staff and volunteers to minimize data entry errors.
- Creates and runs queries, standard reports and crystal reports, if needed
- Documents key gift processing and RE database processes to ensure consistent data entry and management.
- Provides suggestions and recommendations in establishing and revising records and information management procedures, including defining staff needs and analyzing current methods.
- In consultation with Fund Development colleagues, develops and codes the list segmentation for all appeals.
- Assists with training of all staff that use Raiser’s Edge and ensure adherence to Raiser’s Edge business rules.
VOLUNTEER MANAGEMENT & TRAINING:
- Recruit and supervise database volunteers and interns (approx. 10 part-time volunteers) for select data entry and clean-up tasks.
- Train and delegate volunteers to assist in various duties as required. Provides volunteers with meaningful opportunities to work with Habitat GTA.
- Stay current with Raiser’s Edge updates and new database products and management techniques and ensure this is communicated appropriately to the other Raiser’s Edge users (training if required will be provided as well).
The duties may be amended from time to time.
- Post-secondary degree or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 2 years’ database administration experience with high level of efficiency, accuracy and speed. Raiser’s Edge database experience and the ability to develop basic reports using database queries is an asset.
- Superior customer service skills and comfort in dealing with the public on inbound phone calls.
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English.
- Experience with mapping and merging separate data sources into Raiser’s Edge.
- Working knowledge of Import-O-Matic is considered an asset.
- Experience with charitable online giving software programs such as Artez Interactive or Teamraiser.
- Competent problem solver and adept at foreseeing and mitigating challenges.
- Analytic, detail oriented, and results focused. Able to anticipate and plan for future events, trends, problems and opportunities.
- Strong communicator with the ability to distill complex processes/challenges and effectively recommend solutions clearly.
- Proven and excellent interpersonal skills, with an ability to handle difficult situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Experience training staff and volunteers on database software is an asset.
- Accountable, ethical, donor-centric, conscientious.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize work and multi-task with high efficiency.
- High proficiency using MS Office software including Word and Excel.
- Basic understanding of fundraising methods and accounting principles.
- Proven capacity to work in a directed and self-directed manner, as well as demonstrated capacity to work collaboratively with other staff and volunteers.
How to apply:
If you are passionate about social change and committed to making a difference in your community, we’d love to hear from you!
Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. We will be interviewing candidates as resumes of qualified candidates are received. The position will remain open until filled.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
Habitat for Humanity GTA is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Habitat for Humanity GTA is committed to ensuring a barrier-free, accessible and inclusive work environment. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Upon individual request, we will endeavour to remove any barrier to the hiring process to accommodate candidates with disabilities. Please inform us should accommodation be required at any point during the recruitment and selection process.
Internal candidates with the required skill-set are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Habitat for Humanity however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.