become a member
why become a member?
As a member of Habitat for Humanity GTA, you will play an integral role in the governance of our organization. Unlike volunteers, donors and other Habitat partners; members have important legal rights and obligations, as determined by legislation governing not-for profit corporations. These include the right to:
- Attend and participate in annual and other meetings of members
- Receive and review the annual financial statements
- Vote on matters put forward for approval, including the election of directors
- Hear about any other business, including reports on Habitat GTA’s progress
- Approve the by-laws and any amendments
- Approve significant changes to the purposes of Habitat GTA
We are accepting applications for membership in Habitat for Humanity GTA. Learn if you’re eligible. (Please note that this is not an application for homeownership).
Who can become a member?
To be a member, you must:
- be at least 18 years of age
- live, work or volunteer in Habitat GTA’s geographical area (Toronto, York Region, and/or Brampton-Caledon)
- not fall within any of the groups specified in “who cannot become a member” below
Who cannot become a member?
- Partner families with an outstanding mortgage or who have had an outstanding mortgage within the past 12 months*
- Former employees who are within 12 months* of their departure from Habitat GTA
- Contractors who provide or have provided services to Habitat GTA within the past 12 months*
- A spouse, child, or parent of individual(s) who falls within the above groups
*Note: These applicants must have at least 12 months between their previous financial interest in the organization and the date of their application.
apply to become a member
Applications for new or renewing members must be submitted before November 1st every two years. Please complete the application form for new or renewing membership, and submit it before November 1st 2018 via one of the following methods:
• Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Mail to: Sally Peter, Strategy Officer & Special Assistant to the CEO, 155 Bermondsey Road, Toronto, ON, M4A 1X9
• Fax to: 416-916-2333 c/o Sally Peter, Strategy Officer & Special Assistant to the CEO
• In person: at one of our three office locations