who we are
Habitat for Humanity GTA is one of 1,400 Habitat for Humanity affiliates worldwide sharing a common vision and social purpose and also one of 56 Habitat for Humanity affiliates in Canada.
A world where everyone has a safe and decent place to live.
We mobilize volunteers and community partners to help working, low-income families break the cycle of poverty through affordable homeownership.
Habitat for Humanity GTA is a non-profit housing organization that brings communities together in Brampton, Caledon, Toronto, and York Region to build homes with local families in need of affordable housing.
Through our unique affordable homeownership program, we offer families a hand up, empowering them to build the strength, stability and self-reliance they need to create a better life for themselves and their children.
Learn how you can help build the next 30 homes under construction in 2017!
Habitat for Humanity GTA operates 10 Habitat ReStore retail home improvement stores across the GTA, which sell donated, new and gently-used home furnishings, appliances and home renovation materials at a fraction of the original price.
ReStore donations and purchases directly support Habitat home building projects. ReStore also helps the environment by re-purposing thousands of metric tonnes of perfectly usable household materials yearly.
Habitat for Humanity was founded in 1976 in Americus, Georgia by Millard and Linda Fuller and has since spread to 70 countries around the world. The ongoing involvement of former U.S. President Jimmy Carter and his wife Rosalynn, through the Jimmy Carter Work Project that began in 1984, has brought wide-spread global awareness to our organization and its work.
Habitat for Humanity Greater Toronto Area was established in 2014 through an amalgamation of three separate Habitat affiliate organizations – Habitat for Humanity Toronto, Brampton-Caledon and York Region. Like all Habitat for Humanity affiliates in Canada, Habitat for Humanity GTA is an independently governed, non-profit corporation with an affiliate agreement with Habitat for Humanity Canada.
The first Habitat ReStore began in Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1991 and the concept has since grown to include hundreds of locations across Canada and the U.S. The first ReStore to open in Toronto was the East York ReStore in 1995.
our core values
|Housing for all: We believe that access to safe, decent and affordable housing is a basic human right that should be available to all.|
|Human dignity: We believe in the worth and dignity of every human being. We respect the people we serve and those that help us in this effort and recognize them as our greatest resource.|
|Partnership: We believe we can best achieve our mission through meaningful and mutually beneficial partnerships with others.|
|Faith in action: We believe that faith is lived through action. Building on our Christian foundation, we serve and work with people of all faiths and beliefs in a spirit of justice and compassion.|
|Diversity and Inclusiveness: We believe there is a role for everyone committed to our vision, mission and values and we seek to enrich our organization through diversity.|
how it all works
Through our unique affordable home ownership program, we offer families a hand up, empowering them to build strength, stability and self-reliance.
- Families purchase an affordable home from Habitat for Humanity GTA with no down payment required.
- Since families wouldn’t qualify for a conventional mortgage, we provide a Habitat for Humanity GTA mortgage that removes the barriers to homeownership.
- We offer a fixed, 20-year mortgage with zero interest, so that families can maximize the equity they build while raising their children.
- Mortgage payments are calculated annually, so that families never pay more than 30% of household income on shelter costs.
- As part of their partnership with Habitat for Humanity GTA, families contribute “sweat equity” of 500 volunteer hours helping build their home, other Habitat homes, or helping in our ReStores.
- Every family attends financial education workshops to prepare them for first-time homeownership.
- As soon as a family starts to pay off their mortgage, Habitat for Humanity GTA puts those dollars to work helping build the next home for the next family. This makes us different than most charities. As families pay off their mortgages, donor dollars are reinvested and used by Habitat for Humanity GTA to build more homes for working, low-income families in the community.
- We keep our build costs low through volunteer labour and, as much as possible, donated or reduced-cost building materials and services.