On June 26th, 2019, we hosted a Welcome Home Ceremony alongside longtime supporter The Daniels Corporation to celebrate one of our families becoming a Habitat homeowner at their Daniels FirstHome™ Beckenrose community in Brampton. The Daniels FirstHome™ program has paved the path to homeownership for hundreds of families across the GTA.
This home marks the 76th Habitat partner family that Daniels has helped support through our 23-year partnership. A trailblazer in the development industry, there have been many acts of extreme kindness that speaks to Daniels’ corporate philosophy of going beyond the physical structure of a home and giving back to the communities in which they build in. Their strong voice continues to remind the private sector that developers have a role to play in the GTA’s affordable housing landscape.
A few of Daniels’ acts of kindness include:
- The land Daniels generously donated to allow us to build 10 homes in south Etobicoke – the largest donation of land from a private company in our organization’s history.
- Their extraordinary goodwill to bring us on board to build 16 Habitat homes at Hainford road in Scarborough.
- Providing units to our partner families in their condominium buildings in downtown Toronto.
- All the way to delivering shell units and turnkeys at a fraction of the cost to transform into Habitat homes across the GTA.
- And most recently, the homes at Daniels FirstHome™ communities in Brampton at Sunny Meadow, Olivia Marie Gardens, and two homes at Beckenrose; one in which was dedicated to the Mohammed family.
Welcome Home Ceremony Speeches
Amit and Vidia are proud, loving parents of three children. They both work hard to provide the best life possible for their kids. However, it has been a continual struggle to find a suitable place for their family to live. Mainly due to the rising cost of rental housing in the GTA.
The family called a two-bedroom basement apartment, home. It was alright at first, but it started to get worse over time. The basement got cold in the winter months, and since they do not have control over the heating, the kids are frequently cold inside.
“We were not able to get hot water when we needed it,” said Vidia, mother of the family. “We even had to boil pots of water so that we can have hot water to clean ourselves.”
Vidia was in constant fear of being kicked out of their home. She was tired of yelling at the kids to keep quiet and wanted nothing more than to allow them to have the freedom to be themselves in the comfort of their own place.
Thanks to Daniels, the Mohammed family now has a place that they are proud to call home. The children have safe spaces to play and grow up. Vidia and Amit will no longer have to worry about their kids making too much noise inside. And it will be such a relief for their family to have a stable home for the first time.